Written by Ronne Phillips,
If there’s one skill that has help me grow professionally and kept me knowledgeable in the field of education, it is definitely reading. Reading books, magazines, newspapers, and articles have been a tremendous boost for my professional growth.
Reading has taken me from being the quiet teacher sitting at the back of the room in staff meetings, to the principal who thinks out of the box, leads the charge on positive educational issues, and is well verses on educational best practices.
Below are some of the benefits I have gained from my continuous reading:
- Stimulate the Mind- The constant stimulation improved my brain. I seem smarter.
- Acquire Knowledge - The more I read, the more knowledge I gained and the better I was equipped for the challenges ahead.
- Sharpen Writing Skills – The more exposure I had to well-written material, the better writer I became.
- Improve Critical and Analytical Skills- I was able to discuss, provide details, and use critical thinking skills that were all positive outcomes of reading regularly.
- Improve Memory- While reading, I was able to improve remembering of facts, which also strengthen my memory.
- Expand Vocabulary -The more I read, the more words I would see, gather, understand and use again either for future reading or even for writing. Boost to your self-esteem.
- Boost Concentration – When reading, my full attention was focused on what I was reading, a valuable skill to have for learning and teaching.
- Reduce Stress – Reading was able to distract me and keep my mind off other difficult situations. I was able to relax and it became a pleasurable activity.
Reading Recommendations for Educators
Realize that reading is highly enjoyable and develop a schedule for your reading
1. Set time to read each day
2. Carry a book at all times
3. Make a list of books you want to read
4. Find quiet place to read
5. Cut back on TV and internet time
6. Keep a log of books read
1. Education Week
4. Education World
8. 10 Must-Read Books for School Leaders
9. 10 Must-Read Books for Classroom Teachers
10.12 Must-Read Books for Classroom Management
11.12 Must-Read Books on Teamwork/Collaboration
10 Benefits of Reading: Why You Should Read Every Day